Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Fall season preview, reinvention


Hello Wire Harmony fans and friends!


Yes, I seem to have forgotten about my blog.  (Oops!)  It's not because I've been slacking (well, maybe a little).  Hopefully some of you have seen my posts on Facebook of pieces I am making, and noticing that I am constantly using new techniques and tools.  I am still in love with finding new and exciting ways to manipulate metal.  I also started an Instagram account!  Search Wireharmony... follow me!

As the fall season of craft shows draws near, I am kicking into high gear with production.  I am playing with enamel for the first time and I love bringing glass and color to the metal.  It actually reminds me of old days, doing stained glass.  I love it when things in life circle back.  Over time, I have been refining the idea of the pierced
sterling over enameled copper and each iteration is a little bit better.  Finally sticking with one idea for more than one piece.

       

Reinvention

I love the fact that metal can always have a new life.  Sometimes I reinvent pieces that I feel are missing something.  I thought I would share a 3 time reincarnation piece... a sterling band cuff.  I poured this metal and shaped it up.  My original idea was to do a primitive stamped pattern on it.  Wellllll, it WAS primitive.  Yikes. 

It stayed that way a while.  Then I decided to just whack the crap out of it and texturize the whole thing, thus obliterating the pattern.  I also did not use patina and shined it up.  I actually liked this piece, and it was easy to wear.  But it didn't really POP as much it could.


After my husband's friend made me a sweet sinusoidal stake (huh??) to make anticlastic curves (don't I sound smart?? ;) I decided to reinvent my little cuff again.  I curved it up real nice and tried to get rid of all the pattern by sanding it for about a million hours.  





Now, YES!  I really like this little bugger now.  3rd time's a charm.  I feel good about the recycling part, maybe not the OCD part. he he.




SO! A list of the fall shows is in order.  It's pretty short, going for quality, not quantity this year.  If you like my work, get thyself to a show!!






Rancho Bernardo Community Presbyterian Church Craft Fair
Fri./Sat. Oct. 16-17 9 am to 6 pm, 9 am to 1 pm
www.rbcpcpreschool.org/craft-fair

Temple Emanu-El Artisan Festival 
Sun. Nov 1st 9 am to 3 pm
6299 Capri Dr. San Diego 92120

Talmadge Art Show

Sun. Nov 22nd 10 am to 4 pm
Liberty Station Conference Center
2600 Laning Rd. San Diego
Off of Harbor Drive and Laning

www.talmadgeartshow.com/home.html


Here's some more new pieces!  Thanks very very much for reading!
Ta Ta for now, Sarah











No comments:

Post a Comment